We teach a cumulative learning program in KS3 and KS4 and GCSE topics are covered from yr 7 onwards, adding depth and linguistic complexity, as appropriate, each time they are revisited.
The themes and topics running throughout key stages 3 and 4 are :
Identity and culture
- Topic 1: Me, my family and friends
- Topic 2: Technology in everyday life
- Topic 3: Free-time activities
- Topic 4: Customs and festivals in Spanish-speaking countries/communities
Local, national, international and global areas of interest
- Topic 1: Home, town, neighbourhood and region
- Topic 2: Social issues • Charity/voluntary work • Healthy/unhealthy living
- Topic 3: Global issues • The environment • Poverty/homelessness
- Topic 4: Travel and tourism
Current and future study and employment
- Topic 1: My studies
- Topic 2: Life at school/college
- Topic 3: Education post-16
- Topic 4: Jobs, career choices and ambitions
We subscribe to ¡VIVA! which is an online teaching and learning resource. It is lively and easy-to-use for students of a wide range of ability. It is topic-based and underpinned by a clear grammatical progression. The course incorporates elements of translation and literature as required by the new GCSE. The inclusion of videos and other authentic audio-visual material gives our students an insight in to the lives of their contemporaries in Spain and other Spanish speaking countries.
Assessment at Key Stage 3 is by means of end of the end of unit tests provided by ¡VIVA!. In addition, students can achieve external accreditation via the AQA Unit Award Scheme which offers learners the opportunity to have their achievements formally recognised with a certificate each time a short unit of learning is successfully completed.